Thursday 24 July 2014

a second new story ... 'chickentown'

You say you don’t think much of pop music these days? Never have?  And classical, well, you’re too young?

Hip hop is too black.

House? You don’t do drugs.

You want to know if I like jazz?

Here’s an answer in the form of a short story, with, may I add, a preamble:

Picture a girl.  Perhaps late thirties.  Pretty.  Still young, fit.

She is called Leah.

Leah stands in the middle of the public square, jerks her head, waves her arms and squawks like a seal.  She is not, however, balancing a ball on the end of her nose for fun or spectacle. Passers by look only once.  And an old drunk watches woozily, slumped against a statue-cum-fountain, erected bizarrely in honour of Mary Queen of Scots. 

Presently, Leah stops her manoeuvres, picks up her shopping bags as if nothing has gone on, and walks in the direction of the supermarket car park and taxi rank.  The old drunk pulls his tattered baseball cap over his eyes and drifts back to Neverneverland where he daydreams of a beautiful female scarecrow performing semaphore in a field deep with red poppies.

Leah has one of the forty plus varieties of epilepsy, a simple focal tick caused by scar tissue on her brain.  Leah’s tick is triggered by sound.  Day to day she works in the charity store and looks after the hanging baskets of the George pub bordering the public square in the town of my birth. 

The George pub is next to a small, squat limestone building that once housed the filthy public toilets, now masquerades as a café.  The coffee does not taste funny, nor is each cup a cesspool, but for Leah, it is the cappuccino machine that is provocative – the whirring, frothing and grinding could have her performing like a demented circus acrobat as fast as you can say Bo Diddley!

Music alas for Leah is a conundrum.  She may stand next to the wheeze and trill of a bag-pipe all day and nothing, yet if a sudden gust of wind carried with it brass, she will start to jive on no accord.  Her seizures can last as long as the March for the Prince of Denmark.

Do you know it?

Nevermind …

As with every small town there are characters – people who for one reason and another stand out as a consequence of their looks, or behaviour.  As with the old drunk, resident at the statue-cum-fountain to Mary Queen of Scots, Leah is one of these people – so too the one Indian in the community who runs the post-office, so too the fifty-five year old transvestite who rides his bicycle about the place in a long, flowing, flower festooned dress.  Leah is, in essence, a local celebrity, and part of the municipal landscape as much as the church, library, George pub, the supermarket.

In a past existence, Leah was a hot-shot advertising executive in the city.  However, dumb luck served up an unpleasant surprise in the hulking form of a ten tonne truck which knocked her off her bicycle and into the central reservation travelling home one evening.  Leah survived, but when she came-to, after a week at London Metropolitan hospital in an induced coma, she discovered she had a new quirk.  The duty nurses’ mobile phone ringtone trumpeted the introduction to Louis Armstrong’s Lazy River.

… When I first met Leah I was sitting outside the George pub nursing a light ale on a warm summer’s day, pondering a famous saying which goes: ‘if this isn’t nice then what is’. 

You may know it, if you read American literature.

I was on the way to visit my parents, both of whom are retired in the neighbourhood after a lifetime of toil.  Leah was up a step-ladder, watering can in hand, quenching the thirst of the marigolds and violets in the various baskets over-hanging the pub fronting.  And then some unwitting soul in the café next door, seeking a little stimulation and refreshment, ordered a cappuccino.  I, of course, in my earthbound way, was entirely unaware of the significance of all this until Leah threw her watering can at my head, and began clicking her tongue, whirling her arms and whooping. 

Following this unusual introduction I found to my surprise I could not get the thought of Leah out of my head.  I would be idle at work and her face would appear in my mind, calm and placid, she is a beautiful woman; or I would be reading in bed at night and find myself touching my left temple where there was, for a week or two, a small scar caused by the aforementioned horticultural projectile.

Horticultural projectile? I refer to the watering can. 

So, on my next visit to see my parents, I made a point once again of stopping by the George pub to see Leah, or at least I hoped.  Sitting outside the pub, with another light ale, I began to take in the other clientele.  Strange to say it but they were mostly middle-aged men such as I, in varying states of health and dress – and then I noticed: perhaps three of four bore a scar or plaster on their left temple.

Coincidence!

When I was halfway through my second pint of light ale, Leah appeared in our midst, as ever with watering can in hand.  To me she looked more beautiful and radiant than I had even imagined, her skin shone in late summer sunshine and her eyes were as big as pretty blue marbles.  Almost at once, a man stood and offered to help her onto the step-ladder up which she would climb to begin watering the marigolds and violets, another two were poised but beaten to the moment.  Pleasantly, Leah obliged, and with a gay laugh took the man’s hand and stepped onto the first rung.

On this occasion the cappuccino machine next door stayed silent and the hanging baskets at the George were watered one by one in an atmosphere of relative peace, and with an enraptured audience. 

Then, a few days later, by chance I was doing some research into the life of Vladimir Mikhailovich Bekhterev.  Bekhterev was a Russian neurologist and the father of objective psychology. Today he is best known for noting the role of the hippocampus in memory, his study of reflexes, and Bekhterev's disease. 

Hammering out the draft of my article for the British Medical Journal I found myself yet again thinking of Leah, and as I had frequently done in the intervening period, began reflecting on my most recent visit to the George pub.  Presently, I could think of no-one and nothing else.  What, I wondered, had happened to my hippocampi? Had I, and several other middle-aged drinkers at the George, in a strange twist of memory and context been hypnotised by Leah’s theatrics?

Hippocampi – you may need to look that one up …

Anyhow, over the course of the next month I made several excuses to visit my parents and town of birth, always stopping by the George for a light ale, and sure enough by perhaps my fifth or sixth visit, the number of middle-aged men drinking out the front of the pub had more than doubled – all for the main attraction and daily ritual of Leah watering the marigolds and violets in the pub’s hanging basket displays.

By the sixth (or seventh) visit, I had come up with a plan.  After Leah had finished watering, I followed her into the cool, low beamed, flag-stoned interior of the pub – I would pose as an internationally renowned hypnotherapist, possibly with a cure for her epilepsy, though I hadn’t the foggiest what this might be, if indeed there was one.

So, I followed her past the bar, empty for all the men outside, and through an opened door marked ‘staff only’, down a dim corridor.  And then I chose to introduce myself.

It was foolish of me not to have alerted Leah to my presence earlier, and she positively jumped when I said: ‘excuse me’, turned around wild-eyed, and poised, it seemed, to flee.

What happened instead was that all of a sudden her arms thrust wide …

…I’m nearly done …

Her back arched, neck jerked to one side. 

I froze, I knew this was a seizure, had seen it before, but was paralysed with helplessness as to how to react. 

And then she threw herself off the ground and into my arms, and although Leah is petite, I staggered heavily on receiving the full force of her weight and cracked my head on the door frame.

Next thing I knew I was coming-to in hospital.

The punch line: You asked me if I liked jazz?

I hope this passes as an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment